Re: Topband: A plea for antenna help from a fledgling 160m Op!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: A plea for antenna help from a fledgling 160m Op!
From: "Mike & Coreen Smith" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 14:49:50 -0400
!

  On 11th November, Phil wrote:

  "...Whilst others claim as many radials as you can muster is the best way
  forward - regardless of antenna format..."

  ***********************************

  Phil,
  <SNIP>
  . It is simply not true
  that we all need to have a rich uncle who own Chilean copper mine in order
  to be successful with our low-band antennas, ~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ
  ================================

  VE9AA, Mike writes:
  Just this afternoon I went from 'aprox' 20-25 radials (I've killed some
previous ones with the mower and whatnot) of various lengths (1/8 to a few
1/4wl) to adding another 13 fullsize 1/4WL radials and I noticed no
perceptible change in bandwidth SWR or the resonant dip location (at the
transmitter)

  However the other day when I was slant-feeding my tower I added radials in
bunches at a time (groups of 4 or 5) and I could JUST barely see the SWR
meter move down slightly each time I added another bunch as I was at the
base of the tower connecting them up, live.  I was running the XMTR @ 5w as
my MFJ-259 doesn't like the local AM stn and does not give me exact results.
  I am not sure what this proves....merely an observation.  I certainly
would think you would be much better off with 10-12 1/4WL radials on the
ground than 1 floating radial.