Re: Topband: AAARRRAAGH##$!@@!!

To: "Thomas F. Giella NZ4O" <nz4o@tampabay.rr.com>, "a Topband COL" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: AAARRRAAGH##$!@@!!
From: "Edward Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 09:43:21 -0500
On 4th November, Tom wrote:

"...Another negative trend that I see more and more of is CW stations not
sending QRL?"

********************************

I've never actually been on a DX-pedition myself, per se (unless operating
on Ocracoke Island in the late 90's counts for anything!), but I made a
personal vow long, long ago, that if ever such a privlege did come my way, I
would send my callsign on at least every third QSO that I made...

So many DX-pedition ops these days seem to assume that their identity is
immediately known to one & all through different repeater DX alerts /
spotting / the DX Summit / on-line DX chat rooms / etc.  But this is not
always the case...

There are still those among us who continue the olde-fashioned search &
pounce technique---guys who listen, listen, then listen some more (yes, all
on their own!) to get their fill of DX callsigns in the log. Unfortunately,
having said that, there ARE some who, in their short patience / frustration
at the DX operation's refusal to regularly ID itself beyond "QRZ?", can not
resist the temptation of being "heard" the WRONG way, i.e. by deliberately
jamming / tuning-up on the operation's frequency.

This certainly does NOT absolve the jammer of any guilt with his actions, &
my posting is most assuredly NOT meant to be taken that way! I merely wish
to point out that DX-pedition ops should do what they can to help themselves
in preventing their operation from being potentially "victimized" in this
way by such unsavory characters.

Regularly IDs would take a LOT of frustration out of the equation, IMHO...

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ