Topband: Hospital Grade Outlets and Surge Suppressors

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Hospital Grade Outlets and Surge Suppressors
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 08:04:02 -0800
On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 09:47:37 -0500, Paul Christensen wrote:

>I did purchase several 20A Hubbell hospital-grade outlets with
>integrated secondary-type surge suppressors.

They are almost certainly MOVs. Shunt mode surge suppressors (MOVs) on
branch circuits are a very bad idea -- If equipment plugged in at those
outlets are connected to anything plugged in at a different outlet, the
differential voltage between the green wires can blow up that equipment in
the event of a strike.

>The hospital-grade outlets do in fact have a better gripping mechanism, and
>both the Hubbell and Leviton models provide an excellent straight-wire
>insert to a screw-down clamp -- instead of a J-hook or pressure-contact
>connection.

I agree. Hospital grade outlets are a good thing. But buy them without MOVs.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC