Re: Topband: Gold Plated AC Outlets Accelerate W3UR's Quest for TBDXCC-3

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Gold Plated AC Outlets Accelerate W3UR's Quest for TBDXCC-300
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 09:47:37 -0500
> Here is a testimonial to this wonderful receptacle taken from the website:

For the unknowing, it's easy for zealous audiophile types to get "caught up"
in all the hype -- and the disease is pervasive throughout the high-end
audio industry.

Although I would never consider paying $150 for "Audio Grade" electrical
hardware, I did purchase several 20A Hubbell hospital-grade outlets with
integrated secondary-type surge suppressors.  I was adding new service to
the shack with a pair of dedicated 20A branch circuits and decided to use a
better grade of outlet for mechanical reasons.

The hospital-grade outlets do in fact have a better gripping mechanism, and
both the Hubbell and Leviton models provide an excellent straight-wire
insert to a screw-down clamp -- instead of a J-hook or pressure-contact
connection.  Still, the price was about $25 each versus the garden-variety
49-cent duplex outlets available from Home Depot.

Paul, W9AC