Topband: K4M on topband from west EU

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: K4M on topband from west EU
From: "Wolf Ostwald" <df2py@t-online.de>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:50:20 +0200
Hi reflectees !

My ears are still ringing from the noise i had to endure while waiting for
K4M, 3D2,3D2C to come out of the noise on 160. Hours were spent to no avail.
But its just bare physics. Western and central EU is far from the pacific
locations. The signal has to travel across land and very likely the tiny
signal still readable on the coastal areas, such as OH,SM,PA0 etc. will
undergo further dispersion by diffraction and thus vanish into nowhere. I
myself began to doubt my station , but negative reports from renowned
topband DXers in my area calmed me down again. I have been observing the
stations calling the DX and very few DL or F or EA stations made calls, this
repeating itself over the last years again and again. If someone going onto
a DXped to the Pacific and seriously wishes to have a window to speak of
into western EU, he has to carry a heavy load of equipment. Small
antennas,few radials, low power and no RX-antenna will not do the job. But
we all know it's a drag, financially and physically to get the adequate
equipment onto a remote island and the needed electrical power as well. It
takes a DXped that concentrates on 80/160 and is willing to use all the time
resources to get that tough job done. A universal DXped cannot justify the
enormous effort for 160 for the extreme long hauls from the Pacific.

We all are looking towards AA7JV and HA7RY from Chesterfield Islands, it
will be very interesting to see what can be done and what not. But still we
are at the mercy of the "gods of propagation" !

gl and gud DX  everybody    !          wolf  df2py