Topband: Topband List Update

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Topband List Update
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:43:16 -0700
All - I woke up this morning and found more than 20 messages waiting to
be approved.  I think as the activity on 160 starts to ramp up for this
season, there is going to be a lot more activity on the list.

I think it would be better to remove the moderation requirements for topband
postings.  However, I need everyone to help make this work.  While I have
really not rejected very many messages thus far in my tenure, I have rejected
a few.  One person got so upset by it, that they have promised to never post
here again.

Here are the principles I would like people to keep in mind:

1. If you disagree with someone - don't make it personal.  If you think someone
has bad data - then you can suggest the data is wrong, but don't assume the
person is an idiot.  My experience is that half the time, you will end up
being the idiot.

2. Refrain from posting messages to the whole list that really could be just
sent to a specific person.  If someone asks for QSL help for a contact made
20 years ago, this information probably isn't useful to the whole group.  Also,
if someone says they will summarize the answers, let them do that...  unless
you feel the information you are adding really is that important to be sent
unedited to the list.

3. Do not copy large parts of previous posts and then add one or two sentences.
This is by far the biggest reason I delete posts.

Those people who violate these principles will find themselves having to wait
for me to wake up and approve their posts in the future.  Those who adhere to
them - will have their posts show up immediately.  We all start off with a
clean slate.

73 Tree N6TR