Re: Topband: noise floor

To: Pete Parisetti <hb9dsu@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: noise floor
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 13:46:56 -0400
Several things here...since you are looking for comparison numbers.

IF one has a calibrated S-meter (can now actually be done with a K3 with
latest firmware and utility), S9 is 50 uv into 50 ohms, which is -73 dBm, an
easy number to remember. I have verified my K3 with a precision step
attenuator.

Noise must be specified along with the bandwidth used for measurement, or
converted to a per Hz reference for comparisons with varying bandwidths.

Noise power here using SSB bandwidth, 2.7 kHz, is just kicking S5 on my
calibrated K3 (50uv S9, 6db per S unit bar, 5 db per over S9 bar). That
would be 4 times 6db or 24 db lower than -73, or -97 dBm.  Most of that
noise is my mysterious buzz from somewhere which the K3 NB will drop to
somewhere in the S3-S4 range (mostly solid S3 light).

If I narrow my bandwidth to my customary CW 350 Hz, the S meter is just
kicking S4, and with NB just kicking S2. S4 is -103 dBm and S2 is -115 dbm.

Last night's QRN peaks on 160 (using 350 Hz) were at and well over S9 the
whole time I was listening to the Stew Perry warmup, dropping back at best
to S6 or S7. On this night the band was 10-15-20 db noisier than my
neighborhood.  On quiet nights, the NB allows me to hear stuff I can't work.

I seriously doubt that either W4ZV or W8JI would consider my location
"quiet".  In your case -80 dBm steady state noise in daytime (S8) is pretty
gruesome if you're talking CW bandwidths.

I live just southwest of Raleigh, NC.

73, Guy.