Re: Topband: How do we get more people on Topband?

To: <wa5pok@peoplepc.com>, <topband@lists.contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: How do we get more people on Topband?
From: "n4is" <n4is@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 12:00:39 -0400

> Top Band DXing requires real estate.

Are you kidding, check NX4D 1/3 acre and Doug is #249 on 160m using a
rotatable flag I named it Waller Flag. Doug just upgrade his WF to a monster
WF, 50ft x 24 ft and he can hear everything on the band, FT5, H44, and other
difficult signals to hear.

I think the new dual flag is the answer for small lots with power line noise
problems, even on other bands like 80m, 40m, or even 30m 20m.

PY1RO is back on HF from a very small lot, Rolf HF antenna is a 40m vertical
and he was giving up and going QRT due the noise problem, I convinced Rolf
to build a small horizontal loop 14ft x 14ft, and now his s9 noise is down
to zero, he is motivated to go ahead and build a inverted L and a rotatable
WF to get back on TB.  This simple antenna can be the solution for thousand
of Ham living in suburban area or even on high buildings apartments.

The big issue with small lots is that most of them are located on noisy
suburban areas. I have one acre but in a suburban are, I fight noise all the
time and the only reason I'm still playing 160m form this QTH is the WF
antenna, no space for beverage, since I build my first WF I worked #211 on
Top Band and I'm sure I can pass way over 250 in the next few years and as
my old friend All, PY1ZAE, used to say, I will work them all if I live long
enough.

Yes there are light at the end of the tunnel for small lots HAM's.

Regards
JCarlos
N4IS