Re: Topband: How do we get more people on Topband?

To: topband@lists.contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: How do we get more people on Topband?
From: wa5pok@peoplepc.com
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 17:48:34 -0500
> Top Band DXing requires real estate.

NO! I am one of those that operates on the Top Band from a
postage-stamp-sized lot in suburban Houston. I have netted 140
countries with 600 watts output and the K9AY loop is only 2 meters
from one leg of an elevated radial. It is tough but then I do enjoy the
challenge.

It is not necessary to have the real estate to have fun, I have had a
blast getting 9 band DXCC from a 90' X 60' lot with a minimal station.
Shoot, I made contacts around NA from an apartment. Neighbours
said electronics were doing mighty weird things (If they only knew!).

Then there was some ham that reported to have DXCC on the top
band mobile!

There are tricks to minimizing city noise ... use the DSP, low noise
antennas and noise cancelling antenna systems. It's work but very
rewarding. My backyard during the winter is not habital by man nor
beast due to the wires around there.

Go for it, maximize your operating skills and push the available
technology as best you can but most importantly it is a hobby and
have fun with it at the level you chose.

My rant es 73! Mike WA5POK