Topband: FW: FS/AH8DX

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: FW: FS/AH8DX
From: Craig Maxey <ah8dx@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 20:11:45 -0400

From: ah8dx@msn.com
To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: FS/AH8DX
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 20:10:06 -0400

I will be listening for DX on Thursday night October 22nd as I will be qrv from
French St. Martin. My antenna will be an inverted L on the beach facing towards
NA/EU with two raised radials. It really plays and let's hope that the qrn from
the storms on the equator don't cause havic.

Included in this memo is also a letter that I wrote to the PVRC trying to
promote the new SO1R category. If you agree or disagree, let them hear your
voice.

Craig, FS/AH8DX

PVRC,

As I head out to an island some place in the world for the upcoming '09
CQWWSSB, I have never ever asked that the contest committee take a close look
at adding the new (SO1R) category starting with this '09 CQWWSSB contest.

Unlike many other contesters that travel to a station in another part of the
world that is already set up, I travel to a rental villa with nothing. Just
electricity, a refrigerator and a bed. This means that in order to activate the
country that I am about to step foot on, I need to take a complete station.

....And I need to do it in today's world of extra baggage fees from the
airlines. I cannot take two stations! Taking one this year is costing me $400
in extra luggage fees. I cannot compete with these guys that operate with two
radios let alone a big antenna farm.

My antenna farm is an all-band Butternut vertical and 130' of wire to make an
inverted L on 160 mtrs with the vertical portion going up only 30' with
military mast. I would have to pay another $75 to the airlines to get it up to
40'.

If you want to promote more guys to head out and activate a small country some
place, level the playing field and give us SO1R guys a chance. All I want is a
chance to compete, follow all rules and try to win an award. Is that asking too
much?

How many years are going to pass by? Are you going to wait until my health
prevents me from heading out anymore?  I thought we are trying to add ranks to
our hobby but the committee is making a grave mistake by not leveling the
playing field.

Add an SO1R category now!

Craig Maxey, AH8DX (FS/AH8DX for the '09 CQWWSSB)