Re: Topband: Noise Cancellation Options?

To: "'Walter Miller, AJ6T'" <aj6t@comcast.net>, "'Topband'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Noise Cancellation Options?
From: "Tod - ID" <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 08:10:14 -0600
Walt:

One of the best ways to find the noise nulls is to reduce the signal values,
both antenna and sense [aux] inputs, to very low values. Then look for the
nulls. I wrote something about how to do this on my web site  --- but some
time back so I am not sure what I said exactly. However, starting with low
levels one can increase the values after the null is located. Sometimes the
null is near the extremes of the ranges so one needs to do the adjusting
very slowly.

I do not believe that the ANC-4 will be better than the MFJ-1026; in fact,
it may not be as good.

I found that I needed to make sure that the sense antenna was well separated
from the transmit antenna and in some cases I had to add a lot of
pre-amplification on the sense antenna to get the two signals to be equal.
Using the S-meter is not necessarily the best way to compare signal levels.
If you do use the S-meter for comparison, then attenuate the signals so that
you are using only the low values [S1-S3] of the meter. The higher values
are non-linear and significant differences in signal  levels will not show
up very well. As a result it will be difficult to null the noise.

I hope that may help. I found that the MFJ-1026 when properly adjusted
dramatically reduced noise in my environment. [My web site has a couple of
sound bites showing that].  Eventually I was able to find the power line
noise source and the power company quickly eliminated it. That was better
than the MFJ-1026 null !

Tod, KØTO