Re: Topband: electrically shortening a tall grounded tower

To: "Bob Kupps" <n6bk@yahoo.com>, "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: electrically shortening a tall grounded tower
From: "Robin" <wb6tza@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 22:55:02 -0700
I operated for a number of years with a 250 ft tower with sloper 1/4 wave
lines attached 1/4 wave from the top of the tower.  I simply hooked coax
between the tower and the sloper like you would feed a dipole.  This made
the sloper and the tower appear a little like a half wave vertical.  The
tower was of quite large cross section so I ran three slopers with separate
feedlines, one from each corner of the tower and selected them for some
directivity on transmit. The fact that it WAS directive means that it was
not at all a pure half wave vertical.

It worked very well.  I am sure there were lots of odd currents flowing
here and there, especially in the solid guy anchor lines about 50 feet
below the slopers, but it performed well.

If you have the luxury, you CAN stop the stray currents.  Come down a
quarter wave from the top and install at least 4 quarter wave radials of
serious size conductors - each could be a cage of 4 wires simulating
something faintly like the cross-section of the tower itself.  Then come
down ANOTHER quarter wave and do it again, with these sloping much more
than the high ones.

This approach is much like the sleeve collinear antennas for VHF and UHF.

Feed the tower against the top set of radials -  probably the best way, but
mechanically awkward, would be to gamma match the top quarter wave & tie
the set of radials hard onto the tower.  If that's not convenient, make a
ring around the tower and attach all the radials to it and feed the power
in between the radials and the tower.

If you REALLY want to work hard on it, make it into a J pole.  This will
require that the short part of the J be of similar cross section to the
main tower, and spaced appropriately.

Robin

WA6CDR/N6LL
XZ0A/HS72B/VP6DX