Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: Antenna Modeling needed 160 vertical

To: Ed Stallman <n5dg@airmail.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: Antenna Modeling needed 160 vertical
From: DAVID CUTHBERT <telegrapher9@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 10:33:05 -0600
Ed,

Let's compare the 90' top loaded vertical against a 90 foot vertical without
top loading wires.

Mechanically it might be nice to not have the top loading wires. In that
case the radiation resistance drops from 22 ohms to 14 ohms and the base
rises to 15 uH. With a 20 ohm ground resistance (twelve 40' radials) the
radiation efficiency drops from 52% to 41% for a decrease in gain of 1 dB.

How about two top loading wires as recommended by Clive, GM3POI? Two 28' top
a base loading inductance of 5 uH. The radiation resistance is 21 ohms vs 22
ohms for the four wire top loading. The two wire arrangement provides
performance about equal to the four wire.

How about a self-supporting top hat? For 12', 1" diameter spokes requires a
base loading inductance of 5 uH. The radiation resistance is 23 ohms. The
radiation resistance is lower with the sloping wires because the magnetic
field resulting from the downward current in the wires partially cancels the
magnetic field resulting from the upward current in the vertical. We now
have a good electrical arrangement with a good mechanical arrangement.

  Dave WX7G