Topband: Alternate Ground?

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Alternate Ground?
From: wa5pok@peoplepc.com
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 10:37:28 -0500
In the Edwards Plateau area of Texas a non-ham (caving buddy)
tells me this is what they do out there for grounds. Maybe this might
help someone, I sure would like to know if this would be viable
alternative since can retire in a couple of years and desire to move
to that semi-arid country. I am not sure about the rock salt feature
though. The following is a cut and paste from my buddies e-mail.

"... For a long time, the conventional ground for electric service at
power poles used an 8 foot long copper ground rod connected with
.02 copper wire. Fine, as long as it's feasible to drill an 8 foot deep
hole to set it into, however, not so easy when the shallow subgrade
is hard bedrock.
        The new design that replaces this, and is actually much
better, is to first excavate a 3 foot by 3 foot square hole place at
least 4 feet out from the base of the pole. The recommended depth
is at least 34 inches deep. Then place 4 to 6 inches of sand in the
bottom and level. Next, place a spool role of .02 copper wire wound
up like a clock spring and laid flat into the hole on the sand, leaving
about 10 feet or so coming out for the box tie in afterwards. Next,
add about 2 boxes of rock salt( like you use to make ice cream),
and sprinkle in a layer with the wire on the sand. The rock salt
serves to enhance the dispersement of ions during an electric
charge, and adding it allows it to get even more effective with time.
Then add another 4 to 6 inch layer of sand. Then cover completely
with a 4 to 6 inch layer of concrete and let cure out before backfilling
to the surface.
        This type of ground is particularly good for helping to protect
computers,etc. although it is still recommended to use additional
surge protectors as well."

I would not use this in the place of good old fashion radials.

73, Mike WA5POK (where it finally rained in Houston!)