Re: Topband: Isolating a TX antenna

To: "Mike\(W5UC\) & Kathy\(K5MWH\)" <w5uc@suddenlink.net>, "Top Band" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Isolating a TX antenna
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 09:40:30 -0500
Mike,

Interaction starts to be noticeable when the coupled tower or antenna is
roughly 2/3 the size needed for resonance, and increases rapidly as the size
approaches resonance. For example, I have a 72-foot tower 1/4-wave from my
160M vertical -- not a problem with no antennas on top, but with a mast,
tribander and 40M beam, it's darn near resonant and needs careful detuning.

As you have found, "floating" a 1/4-wave vertical or Inv-L is the best means
of isolation. It is now half the length needed for resonance, so interaction
will be small. Note that this may not be the case with Inv-Ls having extra
length to simplify matching -- they will likely need further detuning.

Gary
K9AY