Re: Topband: Voltage rating of matching capacitor(s)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Voltage rating of matching capacitor(s)
From: "David J. Sourdis" <hk1kxa@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 09:57:29 -0500
Hello,

For a shunt fed tower system I installed at EA5ELT, I made a capacitor with two
cardboard pieces taken from the back of a pair of picture frames. Better to use
two plastic cutting boards for the kitchen, but this was at hand, and it took
me less than an hour to make the cap. The size of the boards was A4 (297mm x
210mm or 8-1/2" x 11-1/2", +/-). I covered one surface of each board with
adhesive aluminium tape 2" wide, with minimum overlap between stripes. The
adhesive side is not a good conductor because of the glue, so I had to put a
stripe, conductive face down, to run across all the stripes and secure it
tightly with tape to ensure more electrical contact between all the stripes.

To install the connection cables to the plates y used a No. 10 insulated cable
made of many thin wires, I stripped about 150mm (6")  insulation, and spreaded
all the wires in a fanned layer and sandpapered them carefully on both sides of
the fanned layer.

This fanned wires are set on top of the aluminium tape of each board covering
as much area as possible and a couple of aluminium tape pieces are used to hold
the wires in place, is important to massage down with the finger nails the tape
between the wires to ensure tightness between the wires and the aluminium tape
stripes, you have to maximize the contact area. After this, install a good
layer or two of insulating tape or a combination of it with layers thin plastic
film from the kitchen to provide insulation. Depending on the capacitance
needed and voltage, you can install the plates with aluminium face to face, or
use the board thickness as additional insulation but giving up pF's. A glass
from a picture frame can be used as board and provides good insulation and has
a dielectric constant than can provide more capacitance.

The cap had about 1300 pF when the plates were slided to be completely face to
face, and with a rock on top of the plates exerting pressure, the meter reading
was 2200 pF. About 4 pF / cm2 or about 25 pF a square inch. Keep in mind that
this figure depends on plate separation and the dielectric constants of
materials used.

We used this cap for our 160m TX shunt fed tower using maximum power without
any problem. Some times cap specs have gotten in our way while in a proyect,
but there are many ways to make a capacitor, variable or fixed, for little
money and time.

73

David
HK1KXA