Topband: lift station noise

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: lift station noise
From: "Lee K7TJR" <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 19:59:30 -0700
Larry, for what its worth I have been through chasing noise from a pump
as well. Many of the newer systems use what is called a VFD, variable
frequency drive. Apparently there is some operating cost saving from
reduced power usage. Unfortunately these things rectify and chop raw
line voltages. The result is a lot of RF going back out the power lines. It
may be interesting to note that most manufacturers of such devices also
sell filtering devices to go with them. Unfortunately the manufacturer tells
no one that they may in fact be illegal to operate under some
circumstances so no one buys their filters. My local water company was
very helpful when informed of their noise emanations I was hearing over
a mile away on 160 meters. They installed the factory recommended filter
and most of the frying noise went away. You can still hear it when driving
by but not a mile away any more. I was successful by contacting the
owner of the pump. Hopefully that will work for you.
Lee  K7TJR  OR