Re: Topband: How Close is Too Close?

To: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: How Close is Too Close?
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 12:11:25 -0700
Michael Tope wrote:

>I was looking at a 160 meter operating site which looks really
>promising. The only downside for this site is that its only about 2
>miles from another very active topband station. I realize the degree to
>which two stations can coexist in close physical proximity is radio
>dependent, but in general is 2 miles too close to operate the same 160
>contest without incurring a significant handicap (clicks, phase-noise,
>blocking)? The terrain is flat in this area.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mike W4EF.............

Thanks to all for the replies. Great information. Sounds like the answer
to my questions is that 2 mile separation can work, but its a dicey
proposition (I would have to listen through him to hear Europe and
CONUS). I have some other site options that would afford much wider
separation (15 to 20 miles) with the incumbent. I am going to focus on
those sites first and keep the site which is close to the incumbent as a
backup option of last resort (for his sake and mine).

By the way, I did a quick back of the envelope calculation assuming
monopoles at both ends of a link with 2 mile separation. Using the 2 MHz
ground attenuation curve in N6PL's vertical book (~40mV/meter at 2 miles
w/1KW transmit power), I got +9dBm at the other receiver. Seems like
that's doable, but in the category of "very challenging".

A related question - how close is too close to large high-voltage
transmission lines (i.e. the big metal towers that handle hundreds of
KVs). A number of my candidate sites are within 2 to 3 miles of these
sorts of high-voltage lines.

Thanks,