Topband: Topband CW Speed

To: lars.harlin@one.se
Subject: Topband: Topband CW Speed
From: Dennis W0JX <w0jx@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 07:26:43 -0800 (PST)
I had a discussion about this with Bob, K4UEE, at Dayton two years. It was my
opinion that some DXpedition ops were sending much too fast. We agreed that
around 22 wpm was a good speed for DX on topband. Other well-known topband ops
favor 18 to 20 wpm. So it seems that a range of 18 to 22 might be a good range.

I recently got on 6 meter CW for the first time last summer and note that
speeds there seem to be in the 20 to 30 wom range due to the short E layer
openings.

Dennis W0JX/8