Re: Topband: 160 Meter Propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 Meter Propagation
From: "Bob Eldridge" <eldridge@direct.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 12:16:02 -0800
VE7DXR from p7 of:
http://www3.telus.net/public/shallpat/article/qex_7dxr.pdf

"If we knew the arrival
angle of a received signal during
an enhancement, we could visualize
the phenomenon more clearly"

         I often seen post-sunrise enhancement using an inv-V with
apex up 30m (<0.2 wavelengths and peak TOA straight up).  I believe
we have the same enhancement from stations in EU/Middle East/AF
at their sunrise who are using marginal (i.e. high-angle) antennas.  This
may be some sort of high-angle mode which injects the signal into the
ducting region. Your results might have been very different if you used
high-angle RX antennas for your tests.

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV

SR enhancement from the Pacific is the norm here, and I KNOW it is high angle
because my horizon in that direction is more than 20 degrees above horizontal.
I don't know how many dB, but it is significant. The signals rise just before
sunrise, diminish at sunrise, then recover to what they were before the
enhancement, then disappear. All at high angle I am sure.

Bob VE7BS