Re: Topband: 160 Meter Propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 Meter Propagation
From: "wb6tza" <wb6tza@socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:56:42 -0800
From: "Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>

> VE7DXR from p7 of:
> http://www3.telus.net/public/shallpat/article/qex_7dxr.pdf
>
> "If we knew the arrival
> angle of a received signal during
> an enhancement, we could visualize
> the phenomenon more clearly"
>
>         I often seen post-sunrise enhancement using an inv-V with
> apex up 30m (<0.2 wavelengths and peak TOA straight up).  I believe
> we have the same enhancement from stations in EU/Middle East/AF
> at their sunrise who are using marginal (i.e. high-angle) antennas.
> This
> may be some sort of high-angle mode which injects the signal into
> the
> ducting region. Your results might have been very different if you
> used
> high-angle RX antennas for your tests.
>
>                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV

A bit of a me too, A substantial percentage (like 30-40%) of the North
America contacts we made from XZ0A were the direct result of listening
on a very high angle receive antenna.  this antenna was on the
selector with the beverages, so we had real time comparion.  For the
first hour or so at sunset, ALL the signals arrived high angle.  This
was during a solar maxima.  We were on an island with no locally
generated noise ( there still is the vast noise source of all of Asia,
but that noise ruins everything equally, near as I can tell)

Robin, WA6CDR