Re: Topband: 160 Meter Propagation

To: Topband Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 Meter Propagation
From: Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@inet.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 19:16:43 +1300

Thomas F. Giella KN4LF wrote:
> Also a solar flux in the mid 100's is necessary for routine stable formation
> of the E Valley/F Layer ducting mechanism. Therefore formation of the duct
> is less prevalent at the bottom of solar cycle and long haul propagation
> poorer at solar minimum.
>
> 73 & GUD DX,
> Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
> Lakeland, FL, USA
> kn4lf@arrl.net

Hi Thomas,

Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to debate the physics theory
behind TB propagation, but my experience in ZL, which is now approaching
one solar cycle, is starting to indicate the opposite.  Certainly the
long path between ZL and G has already shown a couple of good openings
this season, and I made more Eu contacts in Mar/Apr 2008 than ever
before in a similar period.

73, Greg, ZL3IX