Topband: Clark SCAM 21 Mast on 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Clark SCAM 21 Mast on 160
From: "Denis Jackson" <radio@modesgate.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 17:17:36 -0000
I'm new here so be gentle!  Planning my first excursion onto 160m having now
been licensed 31 years (as G8OQV for the first 20 years!)

I have an opportunity to acquire an ex-military pneumatic mast which pumps up
to 21m high.  I am thinking about how to deploy it on 160.  I am lucky in that
I have the space to erect a vertical with radials although this is not without
its challenges as I have an 11kV power line across the middle of my 4 acre
paddock.  Anyway, I am wondering if anyone has tried feeding a mast like this?
I have a feeling that the individual mast sections may be electrically isolated
from each other but I am not sure and am wondering if it might be better to use
the mast (and probably up to another 10m of stub mast on top of it) to support
a wire and either use that as a straight vertical or as the vertical part of an
inverted L rather than to actually try feeding the mast itself.

Anyone got experience or an opinion?  Both would be appreciated.

73

Denis MW0CBC.