Re: Topband: Matching Transformer

To: "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>, "lists@subich.com" <lists@subich.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Matching Transformer
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 23:00:25 -0800
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 00:24:13 -0500, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

>Even on a "small lot" a radial system consisting of 36 x
>30' radials (+/- on the length) can be quite reasonable

Walk a mile in the other guy's shoes. A typical city lot is 25-
35 ft wide, and the house will run as close to the edges as
building and zoning codes allow. There may be a small back
yard. I had what Chicagoans would call a big lot -- 40 ft wide,
120 ft deep -- but the back yard was no good for antennas
because they would be over power lines. This is only one of
many reasons why antennas don't go in the center of a lot.

I know many hams with lots that are 30 ft wide x 85 ft deep.
With a 25 ft x 60 ft house, that leaves 25 x 30 of ground
space, usually split between front and rear. Yes, some lots are
bigger, but in cities, smaller lots are more the rule. And
often, a vertical is going to go pretty close to the house,
which forces a radial system that is both short and rather
asymetrical. And then there are sidewalks and gangways and
garages and patios and play areas, which also get in the way of
radials.

73,

Jim K9YC