Topband: Boring Report - 17Dec2008

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Boring Report - 17Dec2008
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 08:12:21 -0800
Hello Topbanders-

Once again - at 5:30 AM, I got out of bed and played beacon by CQing
until after sunrise.  Today's pattern of the opening is simlar to most
mornings so far - where the best propagation seems to occur about an
hour before sunrise.

The first signal worked was UA9MA - who was peaking 569 or maybe even
better.  That was at 1425 UTC.  I was told TF4M was calling me - but I
couldn't pull him out.  Later, RA4LW checked in and made this recording
of my signal around 1445 UTC.  I am stunned at how strong I sound:

http://www.kkn.net/~tree/160/n6tr_at_ra4lw_17Dec08_1445UTC.WAV

Other stations worked included SP3BQ and OH2BO.  I did hear RU3DX CQing,
but we didn't quite hook up for a QSO.

It's interesting that by far - the best morning opening occurred the
week before CQ WW CW - and hasn't really repeated yet.  I remember 11
years ago having great openings to Europe in the morning the week
before XMAS - so we will see how this develops over the next week or
two.  Maybe we will get lucky and have a super morning opening during
the Stew Perry contest!!

BTW - I have uploaded all of my electronic logs to LOTW.  These include
some operations from EA9IE (CQ WW CW 1990) and TI1C (CQ WW CW 1991 and
1993 + ARRL DX CW 1996).

Today's trivia question - I have found I have worked one station > 160
times - and only on 160 meters!  This station is > 7000 miles away from
me.  Who is this?

I'll post the answer in my next report.

73 Tree N6TR/7
Boring, OR