Re: Topband: Good tuner for 160 m

To: "w8uvz" <w8uvz@voyager.net>, <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Good tuner for 160 m
From: "George \(K8GG\) & Marijke Guerin" <gmguerin@voyager.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 16:27:18 -0500
Topbanders:

George, W8UVZ wrote:

Subject: Topband: Good tuner for 160 m

> Another tuner, often overlooked by some, is the Ten Tec model 229 and
> later
> model 238.  With it's roller inductor and L match, it does the job without
> fail on the low bands.
>
> A nice feature is the ability to add capacitance for 160 m to the
> (outside)
> rear of the unit.  Users can add up to 1000 pf to the match.
>
> And it does have a decent antenna switch.
>
> Only drawback that I'm aware, is the less than quality metering in the
> unit.
> Of course, one should use a quality wattmeter when tuning a mismatch, as
> most tuners metering leaves much desired.
>
> Ten Tec Model 229 (and the 229P kit) tuners are often found on the used
> market for less than $200.  Newer model 238 (same design) bring closer to
> $300.  Good value, I think
>
> FWIW
>
> George W8UVZ

I totally agree with the above.

The TenTec L-network tuners are very similar to a military Collins unit used
for random wire tuning using an E F Johnson 18 uHy roller inductor, a 500
pfd 2 KV Johnson air variable and 500 pfd padders made from 500 pfd padding
capacitors made from 5 x 100 pfd door knob ceramic caps in parallel.

The TenTec units also have a good Balun built in that I have used
successfully at legal limit power.

JMHO - Happy Holidays es 73 to all,

George  K8GG