Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: Inverted L Tuning Question

To: RLVZ@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: Inverted L Tuning Question
From: "DAVID CUTHBERT" <telegrapher9@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 03:03:00 -0700
Dick,

I ran some simulations. There is very heavy coupling to the tower. That's
not such a bad thing. The tower current is 180 out-of-phase with the
inverted-L current. The GND return current is the same as with no tower, so
you don't incure higher GND losses with the tower in the scene. There is
base current between the tower and the inverted-L. For this you want a low
loss path. Connect the tower and inverted-L GND together with a wire.
Shorten the inverted-L for the best match at 1.825 MHz. It might be as high
as 4:1. If you have a tuner at the shack this will take care of things.

I recommend more radials. Several short radials will help and not use lots
of wire. Eight 25' radials would be a good start. These reduce 'current
crowding' in the earth near the inverted-L GND.

If you don't have a tuner email me and I'll see what we can come up with.

I'll be in and out today getting ready for the 'test. The plan is to operate
a 130' balloon vertical from out in the Great Salt Lake of Utah. Power will
be 5 watts.

    Dave WX7G