Topband: Contest where was EU

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Contest where was EU
From: Merv Schweigert <k9fd@flex.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 17:57:35 -1000
Seems the first evening of the contest was strictly east and
south for Hawaii.   Worked Africa and Caribbean, a few
South America.  I listened hard and tuned to each EU spot
but heard almost nothing.
Second day was much the same,  a few more EU stations
but nothing at all like I was expecting.
Was happy to put 10 new ones in the log for the weekend,
but also heard 8 more I did not work.
Mornings were not to exciting either,  no EU on that path,
and seemed to be a lack of activity out of Asia.  There
was a very nice group of China stations on,  activity there
is increasing and the signals are getting better all the time.
Congrats guys as I have operated from there and know the
man made QRN levels.  Have to give these guys a hand
for what they put up with.
You know 160 has  been called the gentleman's band, well
I had several experiences that confirm that the idea is still
alive and well,  several times when I was calling DX and
having to repeat due to QRM /QRN etc.  I could hear
some stations in particular with better sigs than mine stand
by and let me finish or get through.
You know who you are and Mahalo.
To the others who kept calling over me when the DX did
come back, may the fickle finger of fate corrode your
paddle contacts. Get a receiver.  Or ears whichever us
lacking.
And on the other hand it seems there are still those who insist on
using the DX window to call CQ working USA to USA
contacts.  I noted that some of these were big gun contest
stations and most likely multi-multi and guest operators,
hey guys inform your ops of the band rules at least.
All in all had a great time from KH7 and thanks to all.
73 Merv KH7C    (K9FD/KH6)