Re: Topband: reversible Beverage v none reversible Beverage (answers)

Subject: Re: Topband: reversible Beverage v none reversible Beverage (answers)
From: Les Kalmus <w2lk@bk-lk.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 23:52:53 -0500

James C. Hall, MD wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> This was an interesting thread and I decided to do a little test. It was
> mentioned that on some reversible beverage installations that on the reverse
> direction there was a noticeable decrease in signal strength as compared to
> the forward direction. I use the DX Engineering gear with voltage switching
> on two sets of reversible beverages. One set is my original beverage set
> which runs NE-SW. This is the one I mentioned earlier that has wires spaced
> a foot apart. In this instance, the NE direction functions great, but the SW
> direction has the noticeable decrease in signal strength. The cabling looks
> good and attachments are secure.
>
> My second set of beverages use 'window line' with spacing of about an inch.
> The same DXE gear is used. The receive signal strength is equal with this
> pair.
>
> The only thing I can think of is that the DXE gear is built for this window
> line and its 450 ohm impedance. Because of the wider spacing of the first
> set of wires, this would increase the impedance quite a bit. Am I on the
> right track in my thinking here? Is there a (simple) solution?
>
> 73, Jamie
> WB4YDL

Jamie,

I have the same setup, i.e., 2 #14 wires spaced 12". The impedance is
about 750 ohms and there is a mismatch to the DXE system but I don't
think it's enough to make a major difference in received signal
strength. I found the reverse direction better with a better ground at
the far end reflection transformer.

Les W2LK.