Re: Topband: reversible Beverage v none reversible Beverage (answers)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: reversible Beverage v none reversible Beverage (answers)
From: "James C. Hall, MD" <heartdoc@nwtcc.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 17:36:07 -0600
Hello All:

This was an interesting thread and I decided to do a little test. It was
mentioned that on some reversible beverage installations that on the reverse
direction there was a noticeable decrease in signal strength as compared to
the forward direction. I use the DX Engineering gear with voltage switching
on two sets of reversible beverages. One set is my original beverage set
which runs NE-SW. This is the one I mentioned earlier that has wires spaced
a foot apart. In this instance, the NE direction functions great, but the SW
direction has the noticeable decrease in signal strength. The cabling looks
good and attachments are secure.

My second set of beverages use 'window line' with spacing of about an inch.
The same DXE gear is used. The receive signal strength is equal with this
pair.

The only thing I can think of is that the DXE gear is built for this window
line and its 450 ohm impedance. Because of the wider spacing of the first
set of wires, this would increase the impedance quite a bit. Am I on the
right track in my thinking here? Is there a (simple) solution?

73, Jamie
WB4YDL