Topband: reversible Beverage v none reversible Beverage (answers)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: reversible Beverage v none reversible Beverage (answers)
From: "Neil Carr G0JHC" <g0jhc@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 13:25:16 -0000
Thank you to those of you who replied on and off reflector, I received the
majority of replies (over 20) off reflector.
Assuming our starting point is a   Reversible Beverage, built to
specification with no obvious "faults" in either transformer design or basic
construction, it was interesting how many replied suggesting the direction
gained due to "reflection" was in practice, far inferior than one expected
(after one takes into account the return losses etc).

Some in effect gave up and designed something else. (This includes some very
well know 160m calls). On the other hand some regard it as a no Brainer and
can only assume a fundamental error in construction.  In my case F/B or
pattern is not the issue, that works as one would expect either way for a
given length, the return loss (usually around 6dB) shouldn't effect
operation at all, it's the basic lack of signal to noise in the reverse
direction that has been my point of interest.

On a final note I'd like point out there were no underlying  trends which
suggested a particular design, either home brew or commercial was more or
less prone to good or bad results.

This seems more of an Art than a science, with many happy customers out
there who it appears have never had an issue.

I will continue to experiment, thanks for your time guys, always
appreciated.

Neil G0JHC