Re: Topband: [Topband] Inverted "L" vs." T"

To: "K4SAV" <RadioIR@charter.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: [Topband] Inverted "L" vs." T"
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 13:29:22 -0700 (PDT)
K4SAV wrote:
> K4SAV: It doesn't matter if the radiation is horizontal or vertically
> polarized.  It only matters as to the total strength of the pattern at
> the desired angle.

Let me try this a different way.  At least at my QTH, a vertical usually
produces a MUCH stronger (10 to 20 dB) signal than a low (60 ft) dipole,
except for locals.  Therefore, any radiation produced by the horizontal
portion of an inverted L is useless most of the time.
This is because ground reflections will cancel out most of it.  Horizontal
polarization will work fine...if the horizontal wire is 100's of feet
high.  But it is low for an inverted L as normally deployed.

Rick N6RK