Topband: Twisting WD-1A

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Twisting WD-1A
From: Dennis W0JX <w0jx@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:58:47 -0700 (PDT)
Twisting WD-1A for a reversible beverage is unecessary in my opinion. The two
parallel wires are very close together and the balance is excellent. It makes a
decent reversible beverage for 1.8 Mhz.

However, be aware that the line loss is relatively high in the reverse,
transmission line mode. I tested this line extensively at 1.8 and 3.5 Mhz using
approximately 10 watts of power and very well matched binocular core
transformers. I measured a net loss of 5.1 db for 502 feet of line on 1.8 Mhz,
and 8.8 db for the 502 foot run at 3.5 Mhz. The loss in the reverse direction
goes up significantly at 7 Mhz and higher.

73, Dennis W0JX/8