Re: Topband: FT1000 MKV Filters

To: "G3SVL" <Chris@G3SVL.com>, "Raoul Coetzee" <raoulc@smmcape.co.za>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FT1000 MKV Filters
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 07:19:39 -0700
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:24:47 +0100, G3SVL wrote:

>It's not just the filter that matters, its the filter skirt response
>too.

YES! As it happens, I recently completed a somewhat extensive series of
measurements of filters in both my K3 and two FT1000MPs. Most are Inrad
filters. They can be downloaded as a pdf with the following link. The
measurement technique uses band noise as a source and does an FFT of the
audio output. As a result, it shows the cascaded (total) response of the
IF filters and the audio filters (as well as distortion in the audio
system, if there is any). The FFT is a high quality pro audio analysis
system that runs on my PC.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/FilterTestNotes.pdf

I did not measure the 125 Hz or 63 Hz audio filters in the MP. Only so
many hours in the day. :)

73,

Jim Brown K9YC