Re: Topband: Transmit/receive logisitics...

To: Steve Hanson <hanson@pioneerwireless.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Transmit/receive logisitics...
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@surfvi.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 14:32:08 -0400
Steve Hanson wrote:
> My Kenwood TS-830s does not have a separate receive antenna input. As a
> newcomer to 'Topband', I am wondering abt the logistics of switching from
> Xmit to Receive when using a separate listening antenna.

Steve,  I use a MFJ-1026 in sort of reverse mode.  The noise antenna
connection is used to connect to my Beverage bank and the unit senses
the exciter RF just fine and switches automatically.  My Icom IC-746 PRO
also does not have provisions for a separate RX antenna.  You also get
the ability to use the TX antenna as the noise antenna if you wish.  The
unit has a switchable pre-amp and solvers the problem you described
without surgery to the radio.  The MFJ also gives you some front end
protection to RF pickup on RX antennas that could damage the rig.  Some
recommend TX keying of the unit which is easy with a 12v line from the
exciter as you may require.

73

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ