Re: Topband: VS6DO, Paul Bailey and a wish

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: VS6DO, Paul Bailey and a wish
From: "Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 07:02:14 -0400
         If there are any pack rats who have copies of Radiosporting
Magazine, I wrote an article about a visit with Paul in the late
1980s.  My copies have been lost long ago in several moves but if
anyone can find it please forward a copy to Paul's children.  I also
have a recording of him on 160 SSB if I can locate it.

         For any of you who did not see it here's the newspaper
article about Paul's death (the one about "single car rollover").

 http://www.mercedsunstar.com/167/story/318382.html

 "The 2006 Mazda Tribute drifted onto the shoulder, Bailey
overcorrected and the vehicle struck a large tree."

 Let this unfortunate accident serve as a reminder to all of us (and
our loved ones) to *never* swerve your vehicle if it runs off the
shoulder.  Hold the steering wheel straight and tight, foot off the
gas, NO brakes and *gradually* steer back as speed is reduced.  It's
probably worth practicing this with your inexperienced drivers.  Also
never swerve to avoid small animals or you may kill a larger one!  End
of OT soapbox (and please do not post replies to this one!)

                                     RIP Paul and 73 to all,

                                     Bill  W4ZV