Re: Topband: 160M Daylight QSO's - Conclusion

To: k7tjr@msn.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160M Daylight QSO's - Conclusion
From: BobK8IA@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:43:44 EST

In a message dated 1/14/2008 4:26:16 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
k7tjr@msn.com writes:

Exciting, I heard my first daylight top-band signal with neither  station in
the darkness during these tests. W8JI and I were trying on schedule  and I can
report no results from 2130 miles away. I did however here K8IA  calling Tom
at this time. He was about 10 to 15dB out of my noise. I called  K8IA but no
reply K8IA is about 920 miles from my qth if I calculated  correctly. I just
downloaded a Grid calculator and this was first time to use  it. Only once I
heard a half second few characters of CW on a QSB peak that  may or may not
have
been W8JI.
Thanks for the  tests   Lee K7TJR Oregon  CN94jm...

Hi Lee.

I am sure I would have heard you but didn't know to move my rx  antenna (just
K9AY Loops) up that way. It was glued on Tom, hi. You always have  a terrific
signal down here, even well after my sunrise so, even given daylight
attenuation, I have a decent chance of hearing you too. Good F/S on  that
little rx
array here, enough to have made a difference.

No go with Tom here either at 1800Z. That kind of diatance at  mid-day may be
pushing the envelope a bit too much.

I did have a interesting successful schedule/experiment with  K9FD/KH6 today
at 1600Z, abt 93 minutes past local SR here. We exchanged reports  559/449. He
peaked for abt 15 seconds then went to 339 and then nothing. Last  gasp of
160 propagation to there. He was still an hour before SR there, but 2900  miles
aint bad for us then.

Nothing special here, not compared to your array. Just a single 78'  shunt
fed tower and 54 radials, fed thru omega match. Works fairly well for what  it
is. Rx cndx are typical "semi-rural", fairly quiet but not strikingly so.
Radio is Orion II and Alpha 91B at 1400 w today.

Let sked? Let me know. Except for Wednesday I am around all week,  or can be.

TNX!

73, Bob  K8IA
Arizona  USA
www.k8ia.com