Re: Topband: Daylight QSO's during the SP

To: "VE3MGY" <vy2mgy@sympatico.ca>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Daylight QSO's during the SP
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:49:30 -0500
On 31st December, Brian wrote...

"...Has anyone else experienced this?...I was under the impression that,
like commericial AM stations, 160 was limited to ground wave propagation
during most of the day."

*************************************

Hi Brian,

The same effect is noticed here, but ONLY during weekends where the band is
full of contestors(!).

Some years ago I was amazed myself to hear --- and work! --- a station in
Indiana at about 2:00 PM local time here...

I've concluded that the band is probably capable of supporting some sort of
sky wave propagation, or other, fully 24 hours a day --- but this fact is
not evident to us when we're all QRT at "traditional" times. The exception
to this latter fact is, indeed, a dedicated 160-meter contest, which is just
the "excuse" needed to keep stations on the band well after local sunrise, &
well before local sun set...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ