Topband: An experience with "DR. GAUSS"

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: An experience with "DR. GAUSS"
From: N7DF <n7df@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:40:22 -0800 (PST)
My son did a Science Fair project using a "Dr. Gauss" EMF detector (
http://www.johnleemd.com/store/more_gauss.html ) and we discovered that we
could detect my buried coax from the 60 Hz EMF that the Dr. Gauss could detect
along its length.  Even when the coax was disconnected from the radio we could
get a reading.

  Apparently the above ground section of the coax shield is picking up the
powerline emissions and carrying them along its length, even underground.

  It was also informative to trace the wires in the house and see how the EMF
fields vary throughout the building.  Also we found pieces of aluminum pipe
buried in the snow by their reradiated 60 Hz EMF.  Chain link fences make it go
wild!

  These detectors are intended for  60Hz but do work at RF to some extent.