Re: Topband: Vertical array

To: "Topband@contesting.com" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Vertical array
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 09:05:51 -0800
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 22:01:17 -0800, Lee K7TJR wrote:

>All the plots in the world of great antennas usually do not take
>into account the feed lines, power poles, buildings, street lights,
>flag poles, phone wires, and who knows what that may be in the
>vicinity of a given antenna.

YES, YES, YES!  It is VERY instructive to build an NEC model of a
simple antenna like a vertical, then add the feedlines to other
antennas around it, and study the resulting pattern. I did that, and
saw skewing of the pattern on the order of 8 dB!

Your comments re: the effects of surrounding objects on the
directivity of arrays are also right on target. All arrays provide
rejection (nulls) in certain directions by producing out of phase
combininations of the patterns of multiple elements. For those
cancellations to be deep, the signals from the elements must be
almost precisely 180 degrees out of phase and almost precisely
equal. It doesn't take much to upset either the phase or the
amplitude, which can do anything between shifting the direction of
the null or killing it completely. And as you've observed, VERTICAL
angle is just as important is azimuth.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC