Re: Topband: One way propagation

To: n3ox@n3ox.net, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: One way propagation
From: PaulKB8N@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:55:08 EST
I have a slightly less scientific take on this phenomenon.  I was  reminded
of it when I was on 15M prior to the start of CW Sweepstakes.  As  I tuned up
and down a very quiet band, loud signals appeared to be popping out  from
everywhere.  As I worked a few stations and passed out several 599  reports, I
checked the S meter, these "loud" signals were only S-4, it was a  very quiet
day
on 15M, so the relative signal to noise ratio was  high.

I posit that this is what often happens on 160M.  Last night was a  perfect
example.  I4EWH sounded like he was pounding in, yet his signal was  only an
honest S-4 but my noise level was outstanding last night, as low as S-2!  I've
worked him previously, and he did get the last half of my call,  but I would
suspect that his noise level was higher than when we QSOed  previously.

Signal to Noise ratio is often more dependent on the latter factor than the
former, I would suspect that noise level differential between locations is the
 major variable in many instances of perceived "one-way" propagation.

Another key factor is certainly the skewed path phenomenon, in which  the
operator at the other end has highly directional receive antennas and  may not
recognize the nature of the transmitted path.

Anyway, my two cents!

Paul, K5AF