Topband: 160m stealth

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m stealth
From: "Howard W3CQH" <hsgorden@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 13:06:13 -0400
I live in a Antenna restricted community, but I have a 40ft pine tree in my
back yard, and I thought that I might try some configuration of 160m antenna
in conjunction with say a "LDG AT-200 Pro" auto-tuner or equivalent.

My idea is to strap either a metal or pvc painted pole to the top of the
tree, with some coil configuration and a 8ft whip (of course all painted to
look like the tree). I will have to feed it with RG-8x (painted) run down
the tree and buried in a trench to the house.

As far as radials - at the present time - I don't think I can bury them - so
instead - what do you think if I should just roll up say 250ft or so of
single conductor wire attached at the base of the coil (hung in the tree)
and use it as a counterpoise?

If I could tune TX/RX with this configuration, then I could possibly use it
to cover down to 6m.

Of course, I would like to work DX, but if not possible, then at least
conus. Comments please.

73's Howard, W3CQH