Re: Topband: Omni VII performance on 160m

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>,<Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Omni VII performance on 160m
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 07:25:06 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 7:51 PM

The concept of IP3 is that you can describe nonlinearity
in a single number.  This presupposes that IP3 is independent
of excitation level below some threshold, which is typically
something like 10 dB below 1 dB compression.  I have measured
a number of devices that simply don't have a defined IP3
value, since I measure a different IP3 for every excitation level.

I am wondering if anyone has run into this on ham radio receiver
measurements?

Rick N6RK

I suspect this is what is going on with the IP3 numbers in the ARRL review. Although you can make IP3 arbitrarily high by reducing sensitivity, in the case of the Omni 7 vs the K2, I don't think that is what's going on. The MDS numbers for the two receivers are comparable (with and without the pre-amp), so I suspect the reason for the large discprancy in the IP3 numbers is due to fact that they are using the "S5" method whereby
they raise the tone levels until the 3rd order product reads "S5"
on the meter, and then they take these tone levels and mathematically extrapolate to IP3 based on a perfect cube law
transfer characteristic. This would result in a number that could be used for apples-to-apples rig comparisons (assuming
MDS numbers were comparable) if all receiver followed a perfect cube law. As Rick's experience shows, however, they may in fact not follow a cube law, in which case the IP3 numbers end up being pretty meaningless (or at a minimum not useable for straightforward comparisons).