Re: Topband: Earl K6SE - how it all began

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Earl K6SE - how it all began
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 08:02:04 -0700
On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 10:53:53PM -0700, Milt, N5IA wrote:

> And that statement brings to mind how I did the same with an upright Crosley
> console, but with one addition.  I used a heathkit signal generator to
> inject the carrier for copy of SSB signals.  What a Rube Goldberg!!!!!!!!!!
> But what a thrill to be able to hold good QSO's cross mode before I was able
> to upgrade to a SSB exciter.  Those were the days.

If you put a pot across the key line of a Johnson Model 122 VFO and adjust it
so the VFO just pops into oscillation - you get a nice weak signal to mix
with incoming CW - that just happens to be offset about a kHz.  You can then
use your regenitive BFO just before it pops into oscillation - as a sort of
band pass filter to peak the desired signal.

Never underestimate the power of idle time in the hands of a teenager.

Tree N6TR

PS: First met Earl on my way home from doing a ARRL 160 contest up at my dad's
cabin.  We drove home the long way through Palmdale.  That was just after he
put up the phased array and he showed it off to us.  Was probably about 1975.