Re: Topband: QRN source and direction

To: cyo3fff@yahoo.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: QRN source and direction
From: W2pm@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 08:52:45 EDT

In a message dated 4/26/2007 6:16:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
cyo3fff@yahoo.com writes:

Hello  all,

Because I don't have a "beverage farm", I'm wondering if someone  of you try
to find the direction and place from where the QRN is coming at a  certain
time?!
I'm asking this because the QRN is a big issue on 160m and  maybe we can do
something to limit its action by using certain nulling  antennas. Also I'm
interested to findout how a thunder will propagate on 160m  band. What is its
range?
If you have some information in this way I'll  appreciate sharing it with me.
Another question is about the cosmic noise.  I don't know what is its
amplitude at this wave  length.

Thanks.

73 de  YO3FFF
Cristi

Cristi - a simple antenna to try to work around the QRN would be the 4
direction K9AY loop.  You can also build a rotatable flag.  But don't  forget
practice your brain DSP and often the DX can come from the same  direction as
the QRN.

Re Lightning propagation I think that depends on conditions the same way  any
signal does.  I can often judge the overall quality of the band on 160
depending on whether I can hear distant lightning QRN in the winter here in New

Jersey.  If I can hear it - the band is open AND quiet locally.  If  the QRN is
S9 plus and constant, as it can be in the summer here, it's time to  forget
about radio and make sure your lightning protection is implemented!   73 Pete
W2PM