Re: Topband: Season not over!

To: daraymond@iowatelecom.net, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Season not over!
From: W2pm@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 08:48:31 EDT

In a message dated 4/26/2007 6:57:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
daraymond@iowatelecom.net writes:

F5IN and  G4AMT both had big signals (peaking 589) into the Midwest (Iowa)
last night  around 0330z.  Unfortunately, they were the only EU signals heard
on  the band.  This morning (about 0945z) a short CQ netted QSOs with  JL8GFB
and JJ0MEF.  Both had nice  signals.

73...Dave
W0FLS

I've never heard 160 so quiet and yet the band open except for last  night.
I was testing my preamps, Pennant feed lines and receiver front end  till
midnite assuming something was wrong.  Actually able to hear the DX on  the
Inverted L and with 20 meter like S/N ratio although signals weren't very
potent
here they were ample. F5IN was 579 on the Inv L and 529 on the NE  pennant.

My strategy for the "off season" is to work S. America and see about VK/ZL
with a new SW pennant in a very quiet location Ive been able to recently access
 - I'll have to get that up soon before the poison ivy, thorns and snakes get
too  active tho.  I'll also redo the radial system and erect a 60 ft plus top
 loaded vert.

73 Pete W2PM