Re: Topband: 'vacuum relay powering'

To: "Top Band Reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 'vacuum relay powering'
From: "Roy Koeppe" <royanjoy@ncn.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 16:01:08 -0500
Concerning,

"...I am about to purchase relays for a project and I would like to use
12 VDC relays. Reason, my ham radio corner is a bit pressed for
room for another PS (or could add to it another transformer and
parts for the 26.5 VDC, its big enough). I want stick with 12 PS and
the relays are going to be, "out there." The relays discussed here
have the 26.5 VDC coil. I will assume these...(etc.)"

If your station uses a common type, regulated power supply with pass
transistors, the 'basic supply' within usually measures about 24 vdc
across the electrolytic filter caps. This is where I obtain my
approximately 26.5 vdc for war surplus relays. Works like a champ with
good stiff regulation. I pick off the power via an in-line fuse rated a
few amps, RF by-passed where it exits the enclosure. A simple, free
source of 24 or "26" vdc, already existing.

73,    Roy    K6XK/0