Re: Topband: Vacuum relay powering #2

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Vacuum relay powering #2
From: topband-bounces@contesting.com (by way of Bill Tippett<btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 18:58:06 +0000
From: "wa5pok" <wa5pok@peoplepc.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 13:41:37 -0500

Tom, I enjoyed the read. Please post that or something similar on
your page if you can.

I am about to purchase relays for a project and I would like to use
12 VDC relays. Reason, my ham radio corner is a bit pressed for
room for another PS (or could add to it another transformer and
parts for the 26.5 VDC, its big enough). I want stick with 12 PS and
the relays are going to be, "out there." The relays discussed here
have the 26.5 VDC coil. I will assume these are surplus relays, most
commonly available relays, cheapest, or what happens to be in the
junk box. When I look at the manufacture's data sheet, these relays
are available with a 12 VDC coil.

http://relays.tycoelectronics.com/datasheets/hc1_3_5.pdf

If someone that does not have any of these relays yet, then why not
order a relay with the 12 VDC coil? If I already have the 26.5 VDC
relays, I would do as Price suggests and series an extra 12 V
source, get a couple of 12 transformers from Radio shack or use a
voltage doubler around a 12 transformer to build a PS. Very simple
to do.

Since I don't have one to look at, can the 26.5 VDC coil be
replaced? I have a couple of Dow-Key relays in use on which I
replaced the 115 VAC coil with a 12 VDC coil, it was a one-bolt job.

Tell me if I am missing something here but it doesn't seem to be
that complex of an issue to correctly match things up.

73, Mike