Topband: More on remote relays.

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: More on remote relays.
From: JAMESAMS88@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 14:42:12 EDT
Hello Gang,  Lots of interesting talk on powering  remote relays such as
vacuum relays.  I have been powering several  remote relays at my 40/80/160
vertical for over ten years. Yes the Jennings RF1E  relays I was using was 26.5
volt.  I tried them on 13.5 volt and they would  operate but RF at the tower
would
release them.  I found a 120 volt to 26  volt transformer in my junk box so I
use that.  my FP1000MP has a 13.5 volt  out put so I installed a 12 volt
relay that operated off of the MPs 13.5 which  operated every time the radio
was
turned on. This would energize the 26 volt  transformer.  I did put a diode and
a 500 volt cap. for DC to power the  vacuum relays.  This solved all my
problems. I never worry about turning on  any switch or power as its operates
automatic. Unlike the battery powered amp I  use on my receiving loop which I
keep
forgetting to turn off.  I did  put a small cap. across the Vacuum relay
windings to help keep RF  out.  Been using this for over 10 years the only
problem
was when the  vertical took some lighting and knocked out two of the four
vacuum  relays.  Running a solid state Amp of about 600 watts no problem of
flash
 over even switching at a high impedance point.   Jim  W0NFL