Re: Topband: WAJA 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: WAJA 160
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 21:16:29 -0400
First, I have no doubt Bill met all the requirements for
WAJA. I didn't man to start a firestorm, but my point
follows....

> Many times the most difficult part of the whole process is
> getting
> the cards for verification.  It is time consuming and
> somewhat costly
> as many of you know.  It is though, the only valid
> measuring stick if
> one is to offer ones accomplishments up for comparison.

Well, it's unfortunately not much better than nothing at
all. No matter what we do it all falls back on the word of
the person.

I'm sure if all the imaginary contacts were removed from
scores on the who's who list (or all the other "mine is
bigger than yours" lists), or all the assisted contacts were
removed, or all the over-the-power-limit contacts were
removed, there would be a huge change in the scores of many
or most of the people on that and other brag lists. WAZ on
160 can be verified without working many of the zones. I
know that's actually happened. DXCC is the same. So is WAS.

As a matter of fact if you want to have a real education,
listen to the 160 meter WAS net. It's a real hoot!!

We all know, or should know, a piece of paper really doesn't
mean someone actually did what the rules for obtaining the
paper say they did.

Which boils down to two main points:

1.) We should all understand because we are the first to get
a certain piece of paper, that does not mean in any way we
are actually the first to accomplish the action the paper
indicates. Let's not pretend it does. It really only means
we are the first with that paper.

2.) Because we are number 2 (or any other number) on a list,
it doesn't mean someone else actually was in front of us.

That's just the way it is. When we all hit the dirt none of
will be remembered for anything except how pleasant or mean
we were to someone else. I miss W1BB and W2EQS because of
who they were as people. I certainly don't miss anyone
because of a piece of paper or lack of it.

73 Tom